Giangiacomo Feltrinelli Foundation was founded in 1949 by Giangiacomo Feltrinelli as a Library. Transformed then into an Institute, it was established by law as a Foundation in 1974.
The current president of the Foundation is Carlo Feltrinelli; Salvatore Veca is the Honorary President and Massimiliano Tarantino is the Director. The Scientific Committee is composed by Maurice Aymard, Giuseppe Berta, Alessandro Colombo, Enrica Chiappero-Martinetti, Maria Guercio, Mauro Magatti, Michele Salvati and Nadia Urbinati .
Equipped with a library and a documental heritage of international importance, comprising nearly 1.5 million archival items, 250.000 volumes and 17.500 journals, the Foundation has always focused its activity on history, equality and on the analysis and proposal of models of interaction among citizens, their rights and their organizational representatives.