Fondazione Giangiacomo Feltrinelli is one of the partners of the 6-year research project SOLID, funded by the European Research Council. The project’s leading institutions are Università degli Studi di Milano, the European University Institute and the London School of Economics.
SOLID is the result of the synergies which brought together prof. Maurizio Ferrera, Professor of Political Science at Università degli Studi di Milano, Hanspeter Kriesi, Professor of Political Science and Stein Rokkan Chair at the European University Institute and Prof. Waltraud Schelkle, Professor in Political Economy at the London School of Economics.
The last decade has been a decennium horribile for the EU as it was hit by a series of policy crises that stressed its institutions to breaking point. These crises have added up and escalated into a deep political crisis which has shaken the EU’s very foundations. Even so, the Union has proven to be resilient and made significant institutional advances, such as the banking union. This project is interested in explaining how crisis and resilience can go together. It will study the political crisis through the lens of a coalition-centered approach.
Key aim of the project will be to envisage scenarios and perspectives allowing for a durable and politically SOLID European Union and will thus address the following research questions:
- what made foundational conflicts emerge and escalate during the crisis?
- which political dynamics were activated by each shock and lead to crisis policy making and crisis politics?
- what coalitional dynamics operated during the euro area crisis, the social crisis, the refugee crisis, the membership crisis (Brexit and intra-EU separatism)?
- how can we account for key episodes and decisions which underpinned resilience?
Within the SOLID research project, Fondazione Giangiacomo Feltrinelli will be primarily involved in data collection and data analysis.
The position of Research Officer to be recruited will be responsible for the following tasks:
- The automated construction of a systematic data set on social media debates related to the topics covered by the project
- The analysis of this data set
- The publication of academic papers based on this data set
- The production of infographics and periodic reports based on this data set
- The management of the project’s website and other IT infrastructures
The deadline to submit your application is September 8th, 2019